If you are waiting for a community service event to come along that is right for your family, your children’s ages, your schedule and your interests, you might wait a long time.
So don’t wait! Take a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) approach to community service. It doesn’t have to be hard and it surely will be fun if you involve your family and friends and build it into some other event you are already doing.
Select an activity and download instructions to do it:
- Lemonade/Cocoa/Fundraiser Stand and Flyer – fits nicely with a yard sale, other community event or a sunny day.
- Collection Drive – fits well with book clubs, birthday parties and other social gatherings.
- Baskets for Books – coming soon…
- Email us so we can include your idea in this list
Select an organization to benefit. Here are several the Giving Circle has worked with in the past. You may know of others. Be sure to contact your chosen organization to confirm their needs and drop off arrangements.
- ALIVE (703) 836-2723 – Non-perishable high protein food such as canned meat and fish, peanut butter, cereal, dried milk, canned fruits and vegetables.
- Center for Alexandria’s Children (703) 746-6008 – needs childrens clothing and toiletries, baby gear, and Spanish language books and magazines. Check their wish list for specific needs.
- Community Lodgings (703) 549-4407 – needs toiletries (shampoo, lotion, soap, deodorant. Toothpaste and feminine hygiene supplies), also dish soap and laundry detergent, and diapers (sizes 2-5 and pull-ups)
- Hopkins House (703) 549-4232 – baby supplies, classroom supplies, paper products and some miscellaneous items. Check out their wish list for specific needs.
- Wright to Read (703) 549-0111 x 101 – needs new and very gently used (i.e., gift quality) books for elementary school aged children
Get started! Have fun! And tell us how it goes…If we need to update or modify the instructions, if you have ideas for other events to be included here, we would like to hear from you.