Types of Gifts Awarded
The Giving Circle of Alexandria makes two types of gift awards:
Priority Gifts are substantial investments of more than $5,000 to expand existing programs or start a new initiative focused on the Giving Circle’s priority of Parental Engagement. These gifts are:
- often spread over multiple years,
- evaluated yearly, and
- emphasize collaboration between the Giving Circle and the recipient to help ensure the positive outcomes of the program can be sustained.
Because of our collaborative approach, the Giving Circle does not accept unsolicited proposals for a Priority Gift. If you have an idea you feel meets our criteria, please email the Giving Circle Gift Chair.
Developmental Gifts of not more than $5,000 support not-for-profits and initiatives that contribute to the success of Alexandria’s children. These gifts:
- support programs that may or may not involve parental engagement
- are used to show support for promising initiatives, build relationships and explore possible future directions.
Each April, the Giving Circle of Alexandria decides its Developmental Gifts based on a simple letter of inquiry to the Giving Circle Gift Committee. Learn how to apply for a Giving Circle Developmental Gift.
When deciding all Community Financial Gifts, the Giving Circle of Alexandria looks for initiatives that:
- Establish measurable contributions to the success of Alexandria’s children,
- Apply best practices and information learned through an evaluation of outcomes,
- Employ a collaborative approach to addressing needs and delivering services,
- Address parental engagements needs that, when met, will positively impact other community needs, and
- Do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion and demonstrate cultural sensitivity to the implementation of the initiative.